Best Cell Phone Plans For Seniors
There’s no one perfect cell phone service option that fits everybody, and senior cell phone plans are no different. Whether you’re an older adult or you have an important person in your life over the age of 50 and are deciding on a cell phone plan this article may help you in your decision making process.
For seniors who do not use their cell phone very often but still want one for emergencies or occasional calls, there are a number of cheap plans available depending on their specific needs. Some of the mobile carriers discussed in this article include prices with monthly access to health and safety features.
The bottom line is that the best cell phone plans for seniors come in all shapes, sizes, and budgets. Here’s a look at several different cell phone plans for seniors.
T-Mobile Unlimited 55+ created especially for customers ages 55 and older, qualified customers can get T-Mobile ONE benefits for just $70/mo total for two lines. The same two lines cost $130 without the discount. You can get this discount as long as the primary account holder is over the age of 55.
Customers that sign up for the T-Mobile One Unlimited 55+ plan will get many of the same benefits as folks on the standard T-Mobile One plan. That includes:
- unlimited text and data roaming and low flat-rate calling in 140+ countries and destinations
- Talk, text, and surf in Mexico and Canada like you’re at home
- Get unlimited texting all flight long and 1 free hour of smartphone Wi-Fi on all Gogo-equipped domestic flights
- Mobile Hotspot: connect all your devices to the internet with included tethering data
The second best cell phone plan for seniors on our list comes from Tello. Tello allows you to truly customize your plan to meet your needs. One of the things I really like about Tello is being able to choose how many minutes, texts, and data you need are sure to please your lifestyle and your wallet.
Of course, they do have pre-defined plans for those who don’t want to think too much or don’t know quite what they need. You can expect no activation fees, no hidden fees, and no early termination fees.
Before you decide to sign-up with Tello, you’ll want to be sure that the coverage is good in your area. They have a handy coverage map on their site and you can plug in your home address to see if the area is covered.
Customers can bring their own phone, any eligible unlocked CDMA device, or they can buy a new phone directly from Tello.
- $10/month: 200 minutes, unlimited text and 500 MB
- $14/month: unlimited talk, text and 1 GB
- $24/month: unlimited talk, text and 3 GB
- $39/month: unlimited talk, text and 10 GB
US Mobile, similar to Tello, offers fully customizable plans starting at just $6.50 per month. You can select the number of minutes, texts and data separately, so you don’t pay more than what you need. US Mobile only offers prepaid with no hidden fees, overage charges, or early termination fees.
- $19/mo: 500 minutes, 500 texts and 300 MB of data
- $25/mo: 500 minutes, 500 texts and 1 GB of data
- $28/mo: 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 1 GB of data
- $33/mo: 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 2 GB of data
Just like Tello, Ting charges you for what you actually use in three separate categories: minutes, texts, and data – everything else is free. There is no “unlimited plan”, so Ting won’t be the best for people who need a large number of minutes, texts, and data.
- $15/mo: 100 minutes and 1000 texts plus international calling and texting to 60+ countries
- $24/mo: 100 minutes and 1000 texts and 500 MB of data plus international calling and texting to 60+ countries
- $30/mo: 500 minutes and 1000 texts and 500 MB of data plus international calling and texting to 60+ countries
- $36/mo: 500 minutes and 1000 texts 1 GB of data plus international calling and texting to 60+ countries
Best Emergency Phone Plans For Seniors With Medical Assistance
Having a cell phone for emergencies is vital for a seniors safety and sense of security. There are many avenues to explore when looking for low-cost phones and plans from prepaid options to government-funded phones. carriers such as Greatcall or Consumer Cellular. These plans cost a little more than prepaid but offer more senior-friendly phones and medical assistance.
When you include health care and safety features with your cell phone plan you get some great benefits. One benefit is the assurance that your loved one will always have access to medical advice. Another great benefit is unlimited access to health care and emergency assistance.
GreatCall offers a lot of great benefits for a low cost each month. You can get unlimited plans starting at $40 a month for service. The plan offers Jitterbug smartphones or flip phones. Either choice is easy to use and come with some great features. The phone has larger buttons and a louder speaker than the average phone.
GreatCall uses Verizon’s network so you get great coverage. GreatCall offers a few different monthly plans to choose from which cost between $15 for 200 minutes and $50 for unlimited talk and text plus 100 MB data. You can also purchase additional data separately. You can likewise purchase a GreatCall phone or plan at various locations. Wal-Mart, Rite Aid, and Sears stores to name a few.
With GreatCall you get 5 Star service around the clock. This service provides you with health advice and emergency assistance at the touch of a button. You can even arrange to have your loved one receive daily health calls as well as assistance in making calls and even adding important appointments to the calendar. The 5Star Urgent Response will immediately connect you to emergency response at 911.
The optional health care and safety packages convey an extra cost for monthly fees between $20 and $35. No other provider offers all of these advantages. You can feel safe and comfortable with this great feature.
- Get 10% off the Jitterbug Flip with code: Flip10
- Get 10% off on the Jitterbug Smartphone with code: Smart10
- $50 plan includes unlimited talk and text.
- $40 plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data if it’s paired with Health & Safety Packages.
Minutes Plans are:
- $14.99 plan includes 50 minutes now includes 200 minutes if added individually or 250 minutes if it’s paired with Health & Safety Packages
- $19.99 plan includes 400 minutes now includes 600 minutes if added individually or 800 minutes if it’s paired with Health & Safety Packages
- $29.99 plan includes 800 minutes now includes 1500 minutes if added individually or 2000 minutes with Health & Safety Packages
- $39.99 plan includes 1500 minutes now includes 3000 minutes if added individually or 3500 minutes with Health & Safety Packages
Text allotments are:
- $3 adds 300 texts per month
- $6 adds 700 texts per month
- $10 adds 1250 texts per month
- $15 adds 2500 texts per month
Data plans are:
- $2.49 adds 40 MB of data per month
- $5.00 adds 100 MB of data per month
- $10.00 adds 200 MB of data per month
- $15.00 adds 500 MB of data per month
- $20.00 adds 1 GB of data per month
- $30.00 adds 2.5 GB of data per month
Pay as You Go Phone Plans For Seniors
The best way infrequent cell phone users can save money is with a prepaid phone plan. These are also known as pay-as-you-go phone plans. With a prepaid phone plan, there is no contract, no fixed monthly bills, no credit checks and no hidden costs that come with traditional cell phone plans. With this type of service, a senior buys a special prepaid phone then pre-purchases a certain amount of minutes that are used within a specified period of time.
TracFone has some of the most flexible pay-as-you-go phone plans in the industry. You can buy as many minutes as you need in increments as small as 30 minutes at a time. Once you’ve used up all the minutes on one airtime card, the next card automatically goes into effect. Each card expires after a certain amount of time, though, so make sure you only purchase as much as you’ll use at that time. The company’s airtime cards are good for anywhere from 30 days to a year, depending on the package which ranges between 30 minutes (30 days) for $9.99 to 1,500 minutes (365 days) for $199.99. TracFone also has a large selection of pay-as-you-go phones to choose from, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding one that has what you need within your price range.
- $15/mo: 200 minutes, 500 texts and 500 MB of data (30 service days)
- $20/mo: 300 minutes, 1000 texts and 1 GB of data (30 service days)
- $25/mo: 300 minutes, 1000 texts and 500 MB of data (60 service days)
- $35/mo: 750 minutes, 1000 texts and 1 GB of data (60 service days)
- $45/mo: 750 minutes, 1000 texts and 1.5 GB of data (90 service days)
- $50/mo: 750 minutes, 1500 texts and 2 GB of data (90 service days)
- $125/mo: 1500 minutes, 1500 texts and 1.5 GB of data (365 service days)
AARP Phone Service Discount For Seniors
If you are over fifty with an AARP membership, you qualify to enjoy a discount. AARP members can save money with a number of wireless service providers, such as AT&T, Consumer Cellular, and Cricket Wireless.
- Consumer Cellular offers AARP members a 30% discount on eligible accessories and a 5% discount on monthly service charges.
- AT&T offers AARP members a 15% discount on eligible accessories and a 10% discount on the monthly service charge of qualifying wireless plans.
- Cricket Wireless offers a $20 mail-in rebate for each line of service with the purchase of a phone.
- Read more – AARP Cell Phone Plans
There are many cell phone plans designed especially for seniors. They’re commonly paid ahead of time and incorporate fewer minutes and extras than standard plans. This can help seniors stay connected without losing a large portion of their monthly income. When choosing which plan works the best for you or your loved one, consider the network, prices, talk and text minutes, data usage, and special features available.
There’s no reason for older adults to be left behind as technology marches on. Whether you’re looking for cheap cell phone plans with no frills or a full-service high-speed data package, there’s plenty to choose from. Most importantly, there are useful features that allow you to call for help quickly, just in case.
If you prefer to keep costs down by putting everyone on the same account, don’t forget to check out the best family cell phone plans as well. It’s yet another great way to save money on senior cell phone plans. While the budget is an important aspect of finding the right plan, peace of mind is even more vital. All of the providers I’ve included in this guide operate on the four major carriers’ reliable nationwide networks so that you can be sure you’ll have service right when you need it.