The prepaid SIM card is an option for those who would not prefer to make a commitment to a carrier network. Not only that is perfect for those with mediocre or below credit or who don’t want to pay a hefty postpaid plan deposit. Below are our top rated phone carriers offering the best prepaid sim card USA of 2019.
Several prepaid wireless companies now are providing prepaid SIM card, in which you bring in your personal cell phone, and allowing you to purchase a SIM card for your phone, pop in said SIM card, and activate service without a second thought.
Related: Don’t pay more than you need to for your wireless phone bill. Check out: Cheapest cell phone plans of 2019
Here’re the best Holiday deals for this Week.
Looking for a new device for you or a loved one this holiday? Get some of this year’s hottest phones and plans during this holiday. Don’t miss out on these discounts for the week. Hurry this is a limited time offer!
The Best 8 Prepaid SIM Card USA 2019
Almost all prices are susceptible to change so please check the service plan website for current information details.
Tello Mobile – Best Overall Prepaid Plans
Tello is a popular option for those looking for the prepaid sim card USA. Tello is a prepaid carrier providing cheap cell phone plans allowing to choose exactly how many minutes how many texts and how much data you need each month in your plan with their customizable plans.
After building your own plan you click on I want this deal then you can either sign in or create an account if you new and you can also connect to Facebook or Google.
Once you have your account created you’ll be brought to your order review page you can see your custom plan and you can choose to select the phone or they keep your old phone.
If you decide to keep your phone all you need to do is to enter your device ID which is an IMEI to check if your phone is compatible with their network and then you can select a sim card which cost $10, then you will be brought to order status page where you can see your work is done and Tello has an application so you can manage your account from your mobile device.
Once you get your sim card all you need to do is pop it in to your device and head on over to your tell account and click activate you then enter the ICCID and you should be good to go.
- $8/month: Unlimited talk & text including calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
- $10/month: 1 GB data, unlimited talk & text + calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
- $14/month: 2 GB data, unlimited talk & text + calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
- $19/month: 4GB data, unlimited talk & text + calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
- $24/month: 6GB data, unlimited talk & text + calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
- $29/month: 8GB data, unlimited talk & text + calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
- $39/month: 12GB data, unlimited talk & text + calls to Mexico, Canada & China.
Mint Mobile – Most Affordable Prepaid Plans
Another best prepaid sim card USA on our list come from Mint Mobile. Mint is an MVNO much like the others, with a special twist on how you can buy service. While you can buy a package of talk, text, and data for a month, you can also buy extended service for as long as one year for significant savings. It offers the small (2GB), medium (5GB), and large (10GB) plans for one month, three months, six months, or one year.
$35 gets you a single month plan with unlimited talk and text as well as 2GB of LTE data (which drops in speed once your limit is reached), or $399 gets you a full year’s worth of service including 10GB of LTE data.
If you know how much service you’ll need buying in bulk can be a considerable saving. Mint Mobile uses aggressive pricing to provide long-term value, as well as cheap packages for monthly users.
- $15/month: 2GB data, unlimited talk & text. ($45 per 3 months)
- $20/month: 5GB data, unlimited talk & text. ($60 per 3 months)
- $25/month: 10GB data, unlimited talk & text. ($75 per 3 months)
Republic Wireless – Best Unlimited Talk and Text
Republic Wireless was the first American mobile virtual network operator, and the company certainly does a lot to continue as one of the best choices when it comes to prepaid cell phone plans. Their chief attraction is the simplicity of their offering and Sprint’s ongoing improvement of its network.
Everything starts with their “base plan”, which consists of unlimited voice and texting for $15/month. Customers can then choose how much mobile data they would like to purchase on top of it: 0.5 GB for $7.50, 1 GB for $20, 2 GB for $25, 3 GB for $30.
A great thing about Republic Wireless is the fact that the company refunds any unused cell data towards your next month’s bill. So, if you buy the 2GB plan but only use 1GB your bill is going to be $25, instead of $40. Depending on how much you can stick with Wi-Fi connectivity, this could lead to pretty great savings.
- $15/month: Unlimited talk & text
- $20/month: 1GB data, unlimited talk & text.
- $25/month: 2GB data, unlimited talk & text.
- $30/month: 3GB data, unlimited talk & text.
- $65/month: 10GB data, unlimited talk & text.
Related: Find the prepaid cell phone plans, no contract required. Check out: Best prepaid cell phone plans of 2019
Verizon Wireless – Best Network Coverage
Verizon’s prepaid option gives you full access to Verizon’s nationwide network without locking you into a lengthy contract. You have the option of buying a prepaid phone from Verizon or BYOD.
Verizon offers monthly smartphone plans, featuring no annual contract, no activation fee, and no credit checks.
Verizon’s prepaid plans all include unlimited talk and text, but it’s important to note that they don’t fall back to 2G when you run out of LTE data. On the bright side, every plan includes mobile hotspot and unlimited international texting to 200 countries, and the 10GB and unlimited data plans include unlimited calling to Mexico and Canada.
Note: Verizon offers a $5 discount per month for AutoPay.
- $30/month: 500MB LTE data, unlimited talk & text + 4G hotspot access.
- $40/month: 3GB LTE data, unlimited talk & text + 4G hotspot access as well as unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 200 countries
- $50/month: 8GB LTE data, unlimited talk & text + 4G hotspot access as well as unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 200 countries with unlimited talk to Mexico & Canada
- $70/month: Unlimited LTE data, talk & text + 4G hotspot access as well as unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 200 countries with unlimited talk to Mexico & Canada
- $40/month: 3GB — $30 for each additional line.
- $50/month: 8GB — $35 for each additional line.
- $70/month: Unlimited — $50 for each additional line.
AT&T – Best Prepaid Family plans
AT&T offers a prepaid sim card kit under their GoPhone plans. These no-contract plans come with an abundance of data. There are few plans to select from, which come with unlimited talk and text in the US and unlimited messaging to over 100 countries. AT&T’s GoPhone plans do not require a credit check and are not as pricey compared to its monthly plans.
The first step is to order an AT&T SIM kit for GoPhone which costs $4.99 but it is currently listed as just 0.99 Cents, then enter your device’s IMEI to confirm it is compatible with GoPhone, afterward you enter your zip code and select which plan you want. AT&T included an option to transfer your phone number or get a new.
The Sim card arrive about a week after placing the order or even less it came with an AT&T refill card to get you activated on the plan you chose
The First Step is inserting the SIM card and select which plan you want then refill your account with the refill card, you do this by dialing a certain code from the codes are listed in the SIM card GoPhone activation instructions. After this step, you should be set up and activated on GoPhone congratulations. You can also log in online to manage your account.
If you are porting your phone number to AT&T then you do want to call 611 and speak with an AT&T representative about porting your phone number.
- $2/daily — Unlimited talk & text
- $25/month: Pay-as-you-go ($5 per 250MB) LTE data
- $30/month: 1GB LTE data (rollover data), unlimited talk & text + hotspot access as well as unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 100 countries.
- $40/month: 8GB LTE data (rollover data), unlimited talk & text + hotspot access as well as unlimited talk to Mexico & Canada including unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 100 countries.
- $55/month: Unlimited LTE data, talk & text + unlimited talk to Mexico & Canada as well as unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 100 countries.
- $75/month: Unlimited LTE data, talk & text + 10GB hotspot as well as unlimited talk to Mexico & Canada including unlimited messaging to Mexico, Canada, & over 100 countries.
- $30/month – 1GB — Save $10 per line
- $40/month – 8GB — Save $10 per line
- $55/month – Unlimited — Save $10 per line
- $75/month – Unlimited Plus — Save $10 per line
Twigby – Best Prepaid Flexible Carrier
Twigby also has one of the best prepaid sim card USA starting at $9.75 per month. Twigby is a new carrier in the cell phone industry and they are unique for two reasons their pricing and their coverage their pricing is interesting because the customizable plans with plans starting at just $9 a month you pay for a certain amount of minutes, data and unlimited texting is included for free.
Their flexible plans are very similar to a Tello and Ting, What separates Twigby from Tello and ting is its coverage, Twigby uses two networks to provide coverage, the Sprint network which is the primary network and the Verizon network which runs only as a backup network for talk and text
Note: If you go over your minutes or data allotment you are charged the difference the next highest plan to prevent this you need to select the overage protection it shuts off your voice and data usage so when you hit your limit you do not incur any overcharges overs protection is available for free upon initial sign up for your plan.
You can sign up for Twigby by purchasing one of their devices or by bringing your own device you can check to see if your device is compatible by entering its IMEI ID on twiggy’s Compatibility Checker. Twigby SIM cards are $2.99 with free shipping and you can get your first month of service for free by using the promo code free to start.
Note: Twigby is giving its new customers 25% off on their first 6 months of service.
- $9.75/month: unlimited talk & text
- $14.25/month: 1GB data, unlimited talk & text
- $17.25/month: 2GB data, unlimited talk & text
- $21.00/month: 3GB data, unlimited talk & text
- $24.75/month: 5GB data, unlimited talk & text
- $32.25/month: 10GB data, unlimited talk & text
Related: Find the best carrier and cell plan for senior citizens. Check out: Best cell phone plans for seniors
Freedompop – Cheap Prepaid Carrier
FreedomPop offers a completely free cell phone service anyone can sign up for, but how is this all possible? what are the sacrifices being made to provide 100% free cell service? is it worth signing up for?
FreedomPop offers 500MB of 4G data in addition to 200 voice minutes, 500 texts and 500 of data, although sending and receiving texts will eat up your data. In addition to being completely free, FreedomPop does not require any contracts and there are no cancellation fees.
Well when you first sign up it isn’t free FreedomPop operates on the Sprint and AT&T networks here in the US and no matter which you sign up for there are some initial fees to get you activated if you decide to use FreedomPop on the Sprint network there’s a $20 activation fee and if you decide to use FreedomPop in the AT&T network you must buy a $10 Global SIM card which will cost you $10 for your current cell number. In my opinion, getting the global SIM card on the AT&T network is the better option, coverage is better the SIM card is cheaper and it is global so it will work in other countries besides the US.
Regardless if you sign up for FreedomPop on the Sprint network or AT&T network you will most likely be given a free trial of freedompop $20 a month plan with unlimited talk and text and 1GB.
FreedomPop permission to automatically bill you at the end of the free month trial so it is crucial to downgrade your plan before the end of the month, to downgrade to the free plan you will need to log into your online account to downgrade to the free plan.
You’re also going to want to deactivate FreedomPop premium plus which you are automatically signed up for. Now you finally have completely free cell service on FreedomPop.
- Free: 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 500 MB data
- $10/month: 500 MB data, Unlimited talk & text.
- $20/month: 1 GB data, Unlimited talk & text.
- $25/month: 2 GB data, Unlimited talk & text.
- $30/month: 3 GB data, Unlimited talk & text.
- $35/month: 4 GB data, Unlimited talk & text.
Ting – Best customized Prepaid Plans
Ting in an affordable cell phone carrier offering coverage on both Sprint and T-Mobile networks what makes Ting affordable is they offer rates, not plans this means you only pay for what you use at the end of every month.
The way it works is you pay $6 per line and then as you use minutes text and data you pay for each tear you reach for example if you use 100 minutes, 1000 texts and 500 MB of data your bill at the end of the month would be $24.
Super simple and easy to track your usage and your monthly bill you can do your usage from your online account. Ting also offers a powerful usage alert tool which makes it super easy to manage your alerts and you can easily create a new alert for minutes, text or data not only that but all of these features are also available on their mobile application.
To get started you’re going to want to do is to head over the ting website and click BYOD which stands for bring-your-own-device; you will then enter your device’s identification number which includes its meid to make sure your device is compatible with the Ting network.
Then click get a SIM card and buy a CDMA and GSM SIM card pack so you can choose to use your device on either the Sprint network or the T-Mobile network depending on which network provides better coverage in your area.
The SIM card pack is $9 and includes both a CDMA and GSM SIM card it’ll be added to your card and you can create an account and order the SIM card.
Once you receive your sim cards head on over to Ting website to begin the activation process, then you can choose to either create a new account or sign in to your existing account
you can then choose to activate you through your CDMA device or your GSM SIM card and choose to bring your existing number to Ting or to activate a new number and confirm your information is correct and you’ll be given a drop-down option with your suggested area code, you can choose other area codes if you wish then click continue, After this step you should be set up and activated.
- $15/month: 100 minutes and 1000 texts + international calling and texting to 60+ countries
- $24/month: 500 MB data, 100 minutes & 1000 texts + international calling and texting to 60+ countries
- $30/month: 500 MB data, 500 minutes & 1000 texts + international calling and texting to 60+ countries
- $36/month: 1 GB data, 500 minutes & 1000 texts + international calling and texting to 60+ countries